Germs are everywhere. They cover almost everything, and what’s worse is that we can’t see them. No one can ever know if they are carrying viruses or other types of bacteria. Naturally, handwashing is the best defense against them. However, outside, your best defense against colds and flu are hand sanitizers. With this DIY hand sanitizer spray recipe, you can create your own hand sanitizer and make sure your hands are clean without using harsh chemicals.
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are extracted from plants. The “essence” of a plant or certain parts of it is taken through either cold pressing or distillation. Essential oils have the same scent and other therapeutic properties of the plant they came from.
A popular way of using essential oils is through aromatherapy. This is because essential oils stimulate certain areas of the limbic system when inhaled, so emotions, bodily functions, and behaviors are affected.
Aromatherapy is a wonderful way to make your house smell great, but it also allows you to get the health benefits of essential oils.
Can Essential Oils Sanitize?
Certain essential oils have antiviral, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties. Some well-known essential oils with those qualities are:
- Tea tree oil
When diffused with a nebulizing diffuser, these essential oils can sanitize surfaces in your house as well as deliver various health benefits to you and your family. However, as an ingredient in hand sanitizer, they must be diluted. These essential oils are highly potent substances that could irritate your skin, so make sure to follow this DIY hand sanitizer spray recipe properly.
Benefits Of Homemade Hand Sanitizer Spray
Are you tired of having to read the tiny labels on hand sanitizers before you buy them? Once you have your own hand sanitizer spray, you don’t have to do that anymore. The other advantages of homemade hand sanitizer are the following:
No harsh chemicals - You have full control over the ingredients that go into your hand sanitizer.
No chemical smell - Essential oils have natural, pleasant scents that your whole family will love.
Effective sanitizer - These essential oils are effective at killing germs, bacteria, and viruses.
Environmentally friendly - Aside from the absence of synthetic chemicals, making your own hand sanitizer means you consume fewer plastic containers.
Affordable alternative - You will be able to make multiple batches of hand sanitizer, so there will be enough for your entire family.
Additional health benefits - Aside from having antibacterial, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties, these essential oils offer unique health benefits. Please note that their effects may be less potent if they are used to make hand sanitizer.
- Eucalyptus - Boosts the immune system, stimulates blood flow, and relieves sore muscles
- Rosemary – Reduces stress, has calming and energizing properties, relieves pain, and repels bugs
- Lavender - Reduces stress, has calming and energizing properties, and relieves pain
How To Make Your Own Hand Sanitizer Spray With Essential Oils
This recipe should take you no longer than 10 minutes.
- Spray bottle – Since you will be working with essential oils, use a glass bottle. The essential oils will eat away at a plastic bottle, and the plastic particles will mix with your hand sanitizer.
- Alcohol – For your sanitizer to be effective at killing bacteria and viruses, you must use either 90% (or higher) isopropyl alcohol or 190 proof (or higher) drinkable grain alcohol, such as Spirytus vodka or Everclear.
- Essential oils – Make sure you get pure essential oils and not fragrance oils.
- Vitamin E – This will keep your hand from drying due to the alcohol and helps slow down the rancidity of the solution.
- Aloe vera gel – This will serve as the base of the hand sanitizer and will also help keep your hands moisturized. Make sure you get real aloe vera gel, not artificial ones.
- Fractioned coconut oil – This will serve as a carrier oil that will dilute the essential oils to make them suitable for skin application. It can also help keep your hands moisturized. You can substitute it with jojoba oil.
- Glycerin – This will help the essential oils mix with the alcohol as well as moisturize the skin.
DIY Hand Sanitizer Recipe
This recipe will make 2 ounces of hand sanitizer. You can make adjustments if you want to make a larger batch for your entire family.
- Make sure your spray bottle is clean and dry.
- Pour ½ teaspoon of fractioned coconut oil or jojoba oil into the spray bottle.
- Add 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel.
- Add the essential oils.
- 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 3 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- Add 2 to 3 drops of Vitamin E.
- Add ½ teaspoon of glycerin.
- Pour in the alcohol until the spray bottle is filled.
- Seal the bottle with the cap and shake it to mix everything together.
- Label your DIY hand sanitizer spray to avoid confusion.
Voila! Your hand sanitizer spray with essential oils is ready to go.