The Best Essential Oils to Help With Acne
First of all, what is acne? It’s one of the most common skin conditions out there, affecting roughly 70 to 90 percent of all young adults and plenty more older Americans as well. While acne itself isn’t life-threatening, it can be life changing. Acne can create low self-esteem, low confidence, image issues, and more. As such, fighting it is important.
Luckily, you have plenty of options to do just that. Acne itself is caused by clogged pores that create a kind of infection, leading to the pustules and whiteheads that appear all over the face. As a result, maintaining clearer, healthier skin is the key to fighting against acne. There are numerous medications out there designed to do so, but the fact is that these over the counter or prescription treatments are often incredibly expensive, can irritate the skin, and may not always work.
Essential Oils Can Help
Instead, essential oils could offer a solid alternative that can help provide relief from acne without the need to spend a fortune or experience the drying out of the skin that alcohol based astringents often bring. In short, they’re well worth taking a closer look at if you’re serious about eliminating and controlling your acne problem.
Always Dilute Essential Oils When Applying to Directly to Your Skin
Essential oils are strong and powerful and used be used with caution when applying directly to your skin. It is highly recommended that you dilute with sweet almond oil or jojoba oil. Read more on essential oil safety here.
There are several great options out there for acne control through essential oils. Here are some of the best choice.
- Tea Tree Oil – This is one of the most powerful antiseptic essential oils out there. Not only does it provide antibacterial and anti-fungal qualities, but it can also reduce inflammation. Using it by simply adding a few drops to a carrier oil like coconut or almond oil and wipe acne flare-ups as you feel them occurring.
- Oregano – Oregano is great for more than just seasoning food. It’s also something that is a natural antiseptic, and something that can be used to spot and treat pimples as they occur. To use, dilute with equal parts oregano essential oil and a carrier oil like coconut or almond oil. Dab the mixture onto the spot as needed.
- Rosemary – Rosemary is another kitchen staple that has strong antiseptic properties in its essential oil form. Using it as a cleanser or scrub is easy to do on its own or mixed with a carrier oil, and it can help to eliminate oily residues on the face while also helping to ease the redness and tenderness that comes from acne flare-ups.
- Lavender – Lavender finds its way into a huge assortment of home remedies, and its ability to fight blemishes and reduce irritation on the skin – combined with the strong astringent properties – means that it’s a great choice for those looking to fight acne. Mix it with jojoba and almond oil and you have a great essential oil skin care treatment that works as a moisturizer and a cleanser.
- Bergamot – Antibacterial properties combine with a great, fresh citrus scent to create a perfect essential oil for controlling acne breakouts before they happen.Use with a carrier oil on problem areas to fight off flare-ups as you feel them occurring.
- Clary Sage – Clary sage oil contains linalyl acetate. This compound works to help reduce skin inflammation and alleviate skin irritation. It’s highly effective and has actually been studied extensively for a variety of things – including lowering cortisol levels and reducing the spread of bacteria.
Each of these options is a great choice for those who are looking to combat acne. However, it’s important to remember that results don’t come overnight in all instances. It’s best to set up a preventative regimen to keep the skin clean and free from oil and contaminants with something like lavender, then using one of the spot-treatment oils to deal with the acne problem areas that appear even with the treatment.
If you’ll keep the oils listed above in your essential oil medicine cabinet, you’ll be able to improve the appearance of your skin and maintain the healthiest possible appearance throughout your days. It’s well worth doing, and could change the way you approach acne treatment.
Naturally, always be prudent, go slow and use these things in moderation. Test it out and proceed gradually to find that right system that fits you.