Modern medicine has helped extend our lifespans, changed the way that we treat disease, and much more. However, there is still something to be said for natural healing, and essential oils do have very real benefits that can be harnessed with the right steps.
Asthma is one example of this. While there’s no outright cure for this breathing condition, there are numerous steps that can be taken to help reduce the symptoms – things like tightness in the chest, difficulty breathing, wheezing, and more. These problems occur because asthma causes an inflammation of the airways which restricts breathing.
Essential oils can help to open up those airways, reduce the inflammation that causes asthma attacks, and more. And best of all, there are multiple essential oils that are effective. Here are some of the best choices out there.
Essential Oils To Try
- Lavender – Lavender is by far the most widely used essential oil and one of the most highly studied. It is known for its relaxing, sedative properties, and when it comes to asthma lavender oil can help to fight against airway inflammation and reduce the problems with breathing that it brings.
- Peppermint – Peppermint’s famous for its ability to act as a decongestant and a natural antihistamine. Both of those effects can help to reduce asthma symptoms, and since peppermint naturally inhibits the creation of the histamines that close off airways it can help to reduce asthma attacks. It’s especially effective during allergy season, when allergens trigger attacks.
- Tea Tree – Tea tree oil works as an expectorant, helping the body break up mucous in the airway and improve breathing. In those with asthma, this can be instrumental in reducing the overall symptoms associated with the condition.
- Eucalyptus – Another oil with a strong, instantly recognizable aroma is eucalyptus. This compound has been found to help break up phlegm and mucous that can clog the airways, helping to improving breathing in the process.
- Chamomile – Chamomile tea is a staple in millions of kitchens, but using the essential oil is something that asthmatics can try out as well. This oil has been found to act as an antispasmodic. In other words, it helps to relieve the muscle contractions that occur within the body. In doing so, it can help to restrict those airways that are swollen and in the process help to improve breathing.
- Clove – Clove oil isn’t always as commonly used as some of the others on this list, but it’s still very useful. Clove oil can help reduce inflammation, reduce muscle spasms, and help alleviate breathing significantly. In short, it’s a must-have for those looking to relieve their asthma symptoms naturally.
How to Use Essential Oils For Asthma
These are just a few good examples of the essential oil options available for those who suffer from asthma. Each one may impact you differently, and none will have an instant effect. Instead, you’ll want to give each remedy time to work and then try to find the oils that have the biggest impact on your asthma symptoms. It can take a bit of trial and error but in the long run will be well worth it.
Of course, knowing the different kinds of essential oils available is only the first step. You’ll also need to effectively use the oils in order to get the best results. There are several different ways to go about using the oils above, including:
- Use a Nebulizing Oil Diffuser to diffuse oils throughout the air of a room. This works great with clove, lavender, and Chamomile in particular.
- Add several drops of the appropriate oils to a carrier oil like olive, almond, or coconut. This is useful for creating blends of multiple oils, and once created can be rubbed onto the chest to help keep one’s airways healthy and clear.
- Put a few drops of the oil in a pot with some boiling hot water and breathe in the steam deeply. This one’s especially effective for lavender, tea tree, and eucalyptus.
- Without diluting, add several drops of one of these oil(s) to a damp, warm towel and then breathe through the towel until it cools down. This can be repeated until your asthma attacks pass.
Finally, be sure to remember that severe asthma problems should always be attended by a doctor. Speaking to a medical professional about your symptoms is a must to ensure your health. But talk to them about using essential oils and you may find that these natural remedies do have a place in the medical community – one that often isn’t even considered at first.
40 thoughts on “Essential Oils For Asthma Relief”
Thanks for sharing an informational blog. Asthma can be cured by the ayurvedic process. Asthma Symptoms vary from person to person and they increase day by day. You can get asthma treatment through the Ayurvedic process. They provide reliable and effective treatment at affordable prices.
I have mild asthma since 2011 & am on the lowest of Advair every day.
I recently have thought about essentials oils to help with my breathing because I had a dry cough that I couldn’t seem to get rid of after bronchitis. I read an article online & decided to try this one morning when I was coughing every few seconds – very frustrating ! I put a drop of peppermint oil on the tip of my tongue & the cough immediately stopped. I was shocked but of course very pleased. It did not cure the cough which eventually did stop altogether but it gave me several hours of relief.
Now I am going to talk to my doctor about it as I would love to get off Advair if at all possible. We’ll see. Anyway, I wanted to share how much the peppermint oil helped me in case it might work for someone else.
You must be careful about taking e.oils internally. Some can be used as you did the peppermint oil with no problem. Just be sure it is a certified pure oil. I have used melaleuca oil on sores in my mouth, but the oil I used is pure. I am glad it worked for you.
See A HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF DEATH FROM ASTHMA
Il. I,. Alexander, X.D.,* St. Louis, Xo. Asthmatics are worse off with sprays and disease mongering asthma industry. Use Acupressure etc. instead.
I was diagnosed with asthma roughly six years ago. I have been prescribed numerous prescriptions for virtually all types of inhalation products. After haven taken corticosteroids for several years I gradually titrated off of them all. For the past month I have not inhaled any Rx respiratory products not even albuterol for rescue.
I have begun deep breathing excercises and aromatherapy diffuser at night mostly with Eucalyptus. Also a mixture of eucalyptus withmclovemand peppermint. Haven’t tried tea tree oil yet but will soon.
Hope this helps Carrisa and others.
I have asthma and it’s getting better. from my experience, avoid trigger like rid of micro fiber blanket or all these dust to make allergy. and I found couple drop these essential oil to boiling hot pot is better for me than using oil diffuser. but yes in summer time will be not be good idea. thank you for good information.
I started using essential oils for my asthma a few weeks ago and they really help. I recommend trying them and seeing how they work for you. I have found it’s best to not place your diffuser right next to me because it is to strong and bothers my breathing. But if you place it in a few feet from you it doesn’t and helps with your breathing. Hope this helps…
One more thing to add, be careful of how much oil to put into your diffuser. A recipe may call for so much, but trying less of the recipe first. This is something I have learned along the way. I, too am sensitive bc of asthma to certain scents. So like someone else said here, be careful when testing this out. You don’t know how certain smells can affect you.
I was diagnosed with asthma at 5 yrs old. I was using from that point on Preventol until I was about 20 years old. I started taking fish oil , and it has helped with the attacks. I no longer need an inhaler, or meds to control asthma! Certain oil smells do bother me still.I do not have a problem with tea tree, peppermint, lavender or orange. Hope this helps someone else along their journey.❤
has anyone used this yet for their asthma symptoms? All reviews are about trying it but none seem to talk about how it worked for them. Just wondering because I am curious but also hesitant to try. Thanks
If you suffer from severe asthma, please be aware that some or all of these oils can trigger a dangerous asthma attack. All of these oils listed will shut down my pulmonary system and can cause death. Test each one before you put it in a diffuser. It is a dangerous practice for sensitive lungs. Beware.
Can ultrasonic diffuser be used for essential oils? Whether the original properties of oils Not destroyed by ultrasonic diffuser?
Hello it would be wonderful to get one of your diffuses. I have just recently heard how wonderful using oils could be for asthmatics. My little guy was born at 29 wks 1#15ozs & is still fighting four years later. In July he was diagnosed with whooping cough. All the doctors thought it was an asthma flare up. He got it full blown turning purple before throwing up to breathe. He doesn’t have freckles but looked like it by busting blood vessels all over. They say it will be along time to recover and get rid of the cough. It would be amazing and grateful if you’re oils and diffuser would help him even a little. We are just on a limited budget. Is there a payment plan for your diffuser & oil kit? Please & Thank you
Very useful advice.
So great! This is so very amazing! Thank you for the information!
This is great info! Not just for asthmatics, either. Good advice for everyone. Much appreciated!
My 6-year-old nephew has asthma. It’s pretty scary. I appreciate this info.
So beautiful! Art and function in one
I just recently found this company and cannot wait to try out their oils and diffusers! 🙂
Thank you for this. My mother and sister have asthma problems and crazy allergies. I will definitely use these oils to try on them when they visit me.
This is a great reference tool. Love my essential oils 🙂
This is fantastic! I didn’t even know that Nebulizing Diffusers! My mother suffers from severe asthma and this would be fantastic to have for her. Plus I love the chart showing which oil to use for the different symptoms. Thank you!
It’s amazing that oils can be used even for asthma. This looks like a helpful chart for breathing trouble from colds, too.
These diffusers are so elegant and beautiful! The wood is gorgeous! Would love to have one in my home!
Very helpful information, Can’t wait to have mine!!
Even though I don’t have asthma, I am happy to pass this info on for my friends who do.
I love this company and their products!! Amazing customer service!
I have used essential oils for years and found eucalyptus very handy when I struggle to breathe. But I also heard piyon pine is very effective as well. I am entering the weekly giveaway because I have been researching for a nebulizer for months and I cannot afford those ones unfortunately but I heard so many good things about it in terms of quality and service. Fingers crossed.
I love all these posts and information about how each different essential oil can benefit common health problems holistically and naturally! So happy to have found your company!
As a person who suffers from asthma this article gave me a lot to keep in mind. Thank you very much for all the great info.
Great info, I want to try this for my mom, she has ashma!
I would love to win this awesome contest! !
I am just getting started on aromatherapy.. This would be a fantastic way to start with this beautiful diffuser! <3
I was very interested to read this article. My husband suffers from asthma and I think my daughter may also develop it. I was lucky to win one of your diffusers that I absolutely love. Now I’m just developing my EO collection.
Lavender is apparently the cure for everything, lol.
Well I have the lavender essential oil, now all I need is the diffuser… ?
I’d love an Organic Aromas diffuser, particularly to use with my Lavender essential oil in the evening ?✨?
Perfect for our needs; she doesn’t have a lot of problems with her asthma, thankfully, but this will be something easy to keep on hand. TY for posting!
I would so love to win either prize but I have been wanting to try a wooden diffuser as I hear they are better health wise in the wood materials!