Modern medicine has helped us live longer, healthier lives, but sometimes it’s good to know that we have the chance to use natural products to give our overall health and wellbeing a good boost. Every aspect of your body has an impact on how you enjoy life – including your head and scalp.
Essential Oils Help Keep Hair Looking Healthy
Maintaining healthy hair and a healthy scalp can be instrumental in keeping yourself looking your best and in the process feeling better about yourself. It helps you find the confidence you need to move towards personal and professional goals, and helps you feel happy in how you look.
Essential Oils Help Make Hair Shine
Many of us desire hair that is shiny and lustrous, but we also don’t know how to achieve this. Essential oils help moisturize dry and damaged hair and also provides a protective coating on each hair follicle that reflects light to give the lustrous shine you desire.
But for many, the tools used to maintain healthy hair and scalp leave a lot to be desired. Shampoos, conditioners, colors, and other products may all work, but they can lead to serious side effects including:
- Dry, damaged hair
- Allergic reactions
- Sensitive skin
- Scalp conditions like dermatitis
- Bad smells
- And more
And of course, when you start taking a look at the ingredient labels for many of the hair care products out there today, it becomes apparent that there’s more in them than most realize. In fact, it can be difficult to even know just what you’re putting on your head.
Repairing Dry and Damaged Hair
One of the biggest reasons our hair appears unhealthy is due to the fact that it is dry and damaged. This can be caused from many things including; the environment, the products we use in our hair, the frequency we wash our hair and also our diet. The way essential oils help to repair dry and damaged hair is by soaking in and retaining moisture levels which help give our hair that healthy shine.
That’s why going natural makes so much sense. Using natural hair and scalp care treatments is something that has a tremendous impact on your well-being, and can help you look and feel better without adding harsh chemicals to your body. And essential oils could be the key to giving your hair and scalp that boost of TLC that is needed to really look your best.
Essential Oils For Hair And Scalp Care
With that in mind, it’s worth taking a few minutes to review the different essential oils that are perfect for use in improving hair and scalp health. Essential oils have been used for centuries to help with everything from mental health and de-stressing the mind to fighting infections and improving skin health. Each one is distilled from the different parts of a plant or tree, and are very potent to provide the deepest level of healing.
Whether you have dry, itchy scalp, hair that is weak or growing poorly, dandruff, or some other issue, the following 4 essential oils could be useful in giving you better hair and scalp health.
- Lavender – Lavender is one of those go-to oils that can be used for a wide range of things. As such, it’s something that every essential oil kit needs to have. While it’s often used to help relieve stress and calm the mind, it also has very strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties as well. Using it on the scalp can help to nourish and soothe irritation, fight against dry, flaking skin, and even provide relief from certain scalp conditions that are caused by inflammation. Using it regularly could even help to reduce the severity of hair loss and potentially improve luster of the hair.
- Rosemary – Rosemary is a popular cooking herb, but its essential oil could help promote healthier scalp and hair as well. Compounds within this oil may help increase metabolic function in cells, which may in turn stimulate healthier hair growth. It could help prevent hair loss, speed hair growth, and strengthen the hair overall. It’s even been used to combat alopecia areata – a specific type of hair loss condition.
- Ylang-Ylang – This is another common component of a complete essential oil kit, and it has been used over the centuries to help reduce stress of the body and mind. However, it could also help to improve hair thickness, leading to a more attractive head of hair that is fuller and stronger. Additionally, it can help reduce split ends and even improve the balance of oils that the scalp produces naturally.
- Chamomile – Chamomile and in particular German Chamomile has been shown to help combat inflammation in all parts of the body – including the scalp. Inflammatory conditions often trigger hair loss and itching scalp, and by using this essential oil it’s possible to combat those problems and improve the overall health of the hair and scalp.
To get the most from these essential oils, it’s important to use them properly. Start by creating a healthy blend using a carrier oil like grapeseed, sweet almond, or coconut oil. This ensures that you don’t irritate the skin with pure oils. Mix one or more of the above oils into the carrier oil in a small container and then massage the oil into your scalp once per day for at least 3 minutes. If you have the time, follow this up by wrapping the head in a warm towel for a half hour to help seal in the oil and ensure it does the job.
You deserve a great looking head of hair and a healthy scalp. The essential oils above are perfect for helping you achieve that goal.