Can Essential Oils Improve Your Emotional Intelligence? A study published in the journal Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience found that essential oils can help to improve emotional intelligence. The study authors wrote that “the ability to understand and manage emotions is a key factor in overall success and well-being.”
They added that essential oils may offer “a promising method for improving emotional intelligence and, consequently, overall quality of life.” The study involved 48 participants who were divided into two groups. One group received daily treatment with essential oils for four weeks, while the other group did not receive any treatment.
At the end of the four weeks, the participants who had received the essential oil treatment showed significantly improved emotional intelligence, compared to the control group. The essential oils used in the study were lavender, rosemary, and peppermint. Previous research has shown that these essential oils can help to reduce stress and anxiety.
What Is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence (EI) is the capacity to be aware of and manage one’s own emotions, and the emotions of others.
Research has shown that emotional intelligence can have several benefits, including:
• improved academic performance
• better job performance
• stronger relationships
• better mental and physical health
• greater life satisfaction
How Do Essential Oils Work To Boost Emotional Intelligence?
Aromatherapy is one of the most popular methods for using essential oils to improve EI. This practice involves using essential oils to promote relaxation, well-being, and positive emotions.
The growing body of research suggests that aromatherapy can indeed have a positive effect on emotions. One study found that lavender oil was able to reduce anxiety and improve mood in a group of medical students.
Another study found that basil essential oil was able to increase positive emotions and decrease negative emotions in a group of postpartum women.
So, can essential oils improve your emotional intelligence and how do they work?
Simply put, they work by helping to balance the emotions. This can be done by reducing stress and anxiety, promoting relaxation, and increasing positive emotions. When the emotions are balanced, it becomes easier to think clearly and make better decisions. In other words, essential oils can help to “quiet” the mind and allow for greater clarity of thought.
10 Best Essential Oils To Boost EI
1. Lavender oil: This oil has a calming and soothing effect on the mind, which can help to promote better focus and concentration. It is also said to help ease anxiety and stress levels.
2. Rosemary oil: This oil is believed to improve memory and cognitive function. It can also help to reduce stress and anxiety levels.
3. Peppermint oil: This refreshing oil can help to boost energy levels and mental alertness. It is also said to help relieve headaches and migraines.
4. Bergamot oil: This citrusy oil is uplifting and refreshing, making it ideal for combating fatigue or low moods.
5. Lemon oil: This is an invigorating and refreshing oil, helping to improve concentration and mental clarity.
6. Jasmine oil: This sweet-smelling oil is believed to boost confidence and self-esteem. It can also help to reduce stress levels.
7. Ylang ylang oil: This exotic-scented oil is said to be calming and relaxing, making it ideal for easing anxiety or tension.
8. Chamomile oil: This soothing oil is helpful in promoting sleep and relaxation. It can also help to ease anxiety and stress levels.
9. Sandalwood oil: This woody-scented oil is grounding and stabilizing, making it ideal for promoting focus and concentration.
10. Frankincense oil: This earthy-scented oil is said to be spiritually uplifting and centering. It can also help to reduce stress levels and promote feelings of well-being.
Best Essential Oil Blends For Emotional Intelligence
Can essential oils improve your emotional intelligence? Several essential oil blends can help to boost emotional intelligence. Some of these include:
1. Lavender and chamomile – This blend is perfect for promoting relaxation and helping to reduce stress levels. It can also be beneficial for aiding in sleep and reducing anxiety.
2. Bergamot and ylang ylang – This blend is useful for improving mood and increasing energy levels. It can also help to reduce feelings of stress and anxiety.
3. Clary sage and rosemary – This blend helps stimulate the mind and promote concentration. It can also assist with reducing stress and anxiety levels.
4. Lemon and grapefruit – This refreshing blend is perfect for uplifting the mood and increasing motivation levels. It can also help to reduce feelings of stress and anxiety.
5. Peppermint and eucalyptus – This invigorating blend is perfect for clearing the mind and promoting focus. It can also help to reduce headaches and tension.
Consequences Of Low Emotional Intelligence
If you have low emotional intelligence, you might find it difficult to relate to other people. You may also find yourself feeling isolated and alone. Additionally, you may struggle with making friends or keeping a job. Low emotional intelligence can also lead to problems in your relationships.
You may have difficulty communicating with your partner or children. Additionally, you may find yourself getting into arguments more often than people with higher emotional intelligence. Finally, low emotional intelligence has been linked to poor mental health. People with low EI are more likely to experience anxiety, depression, and stress.
Diffusing Guide To Boost EI
A nebulizing diffuser is a perfect tool as you seek to bolster your EI. This diffuser is best because it does not heat the oil, which means that all of the therapeutic benefits are retained. The nebulizing diffuser also uses compressed air to create a fine mist, which allows the essential oils to be evenly distributed throughout the room. The aromatherapy tool works silently, so you can diffuse in your office or home without disrupting the peace.
Five Main Components To EI
When considering whether essential oils can improve emotional intelligence, it is good to know what the experts are saying. Emotional intelligence experts say that there are five main components to emotional intelligence: self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy, and social skills.
According to experts, self-awareness is key to understanding and managing your emotions. It’s important to be aware of your own feelings in order to understand how they might affect your thoughts and actions. If you’re not aware of your emotions, you may have difficulty controlling them or communicating effectively with others.
Self-regulation is another important aspect of emotional intelligence. This refers to the ability to control your emotions and healthily respond to them. When you’re able to regulate your emotions, you’re less likely to let them get the best of you or to lash out at others.
Motivation is another key component of EI. This refers to the ability to stay motivated and focused on your goals, even when things are tough. People with high emotional intelligence are often able to find meaning and purpose in their work, even when it’s not easy.
Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of others. People with high emotional intelligence are often good at seeing both sides of a situation and can easily put themselves in someone else’s shoes. This can be helpful in both personal relationships and professional settings.
5. Social Skills
Social skills are the ability to effectively communicate and interact with others. People with high emotional intelligence are often good at building relationships and networking. They’re also often good at handling conflict and difficult conversations.
Can essential oils improve your emotional intelligence? EI can impact every area of your life, from your personal relationships to your professional success. If you want to be successful in any area of your life, it’s important to work on developing your emotional intelligence. In addition to aromatherapy: books, workshops, and online resources will also add to your EI. Whatever method you choose, make sure you’re dedicated to improving your emotional intelligence. Jack Canfield put it like this, “If you want to be successful in any area of your life, it’s important to work on developing your emotional intelligence.” Jack Canfield, American author, and motivational speaker