Essential oils have been used for thousands of years as a form of natural healing and remedy. Recently, they’ve become popular as a way to give hair life and thickness while promoting growth. This blog outlines how to mix essential oils for maximum benefits, what types of essential oils work best, and the different ways you can use the resulting blend.
Using essential oils on your hair can be a great way to support healthy hair growth without having to resort to using chemicals or processed products. Essential oils are naturally derived from plants and offer numerous benefits when it comes to fighting stubborn frizz, split ends, slower regrowth, and limp locks. With the right expertise, you can easily mix up your own blend in order to get these amazing results!
Benefits of Using Essential Oils on Hair
Moisturize dry scalps. Essential oils are naturally hydrating, which makes them a great solution for those looking to add moisture back into the scalp and hair. By adding essential oils in different concentrations and combinations, you can help replenish lost moisture and condition your scalp, reducing the chance of it becoming dry or sensitive.
Stimulate hair follicles, promoting faster and healthier hair growth. The use of certain essential oil compounds have shown to positively impact hair follicle stimulation and increase cell metabolism, leading to healthier-looking locks that grow at a faster rate than before.
Help to reduce dandruff and other scalp issues like psoriasis or eczema. Essential oils have been proven beneficial for many types of scalp conditions such as dandruff, psoriasis, and eczema due to their anti-inflammatory properties. Different essential oils offer different benefits depending on what type of scalp issue you’re trying to target.
Add shine to dull, lifeless tresses. Many people experience dull-looking tresses due to unhealthy diets or too much exposure to the sun’s UV rays over time. Dullness is caused by decreased hydration levels in the strands that make up our manes. Applying essential oils can not only help hydrate the place where each strand begins (the follicle), but it can also restore its natural shine in no time!
Strengthen weakened strands, reducing breakage and split ends. Weak strands happen when there is an irregularity in our mane’s structure due to unhealthy lifestyles or chemical treatments that damage our cuticles beyond repair after long-term exposure or usage in large quantities. To address this problem, certain essential oils provide nourishment from the root all the way down through each strand so that hair becomes stronger from within!
Stimulate circulation in the scalp, boosting the delivery of nutrients for healthier hair growth. Poor blood circulation within the scalp can cause nutrient deficiency which leads to slow regrowth rates or lack thereof altogether. To remedy this issue, you may try massaging your scalp with specific blends containing must-have vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fatty acids, proteins etcetera to stimulate healthy regrowth whilst promoting better circulation throughout your head!
Keep oily scalps balanced. Sebum production varies amongst individuals which means some may experience an excess amount while others don’t produce enough – leaving both sides feeling uneasy due to particularly greasy roots versus too-dry fringes. With this knowledge being taken into account, designating various blends with just the right ingredients helps regulate sebum production without tipping either side into uncomfortable regions.
Act as a natural conditioner by providing much-needed vitamins and minerals. Natural conditioners are usually made up of cleansing agents mixed with specific vitamins & minerals known for their ability to strengthen your locks from within and keep their core strong against external environmental factors such as heat styling tools, harsh shampoos etcetera. Use this method in order to recreate every day so long as all necessary components are present within your potion!
Soothe an irritated scalp caused by cold weather, windburn, or sunburns that can leave your scalp feeling tender & damaged. Skin irritations from direct exposure to undesirable temperatures leave plenty feeling discomforted – especially those whose scalps are suffering more than usual! When these cases arise, consider using organic therapeutic grade oil instead since they possess superior healing powers compared to those found off-store counters!
Control frizziness by nourishing strands from the root tip while leaving behind a protective coating that helps lock moisture without weighing your hair down making it greasy looking. Frizz happens when moisture escapes due to improper care methods like heat styling or excessive product build-up. A good blend contains nourishing elements alongside a light sealant that preserves maximum hydration levels beneath its surface after use – allowing smooth sailing all weeks long until the next application arrives!
10 Essential and Carrier Oils for Hair Growth
Tea Tree Oil. This powerful essential oil is great for treating dandruff, soothing the scalp, and promoting hair growth.
Peppermint Oil. Not only does this essential oil smell great, but it can also stimulate new hair growth and reduce itchiness.
Rosemary Oil. Rosemary oil is known to promote thicker and stronger hair when used regularly.
Lavender Oil. Not only useful for its calming properties, lavender oil can help promote healthy hair growth when massaged into the scalp regularly. Lavender oil is one of the best essential oils to stimulate hair growth.
Cedarwood Oil. This powerful essential oil has been linked to increased circulation in the scalp, leading to healthier strands in no time! when considering essential oils for hair, this is a must-pick.
Clary Sage Oil. This essential oil helps balance sebum levels which can help slow down signs of aging on our manes like greying or thinning out. It is excellent for hair follicles.
Cinnamon Oil. Containing strong antibacterial & antifungal properties, using Cinnamon Oil during one’s regime can help get rid of unwanted residue from products used over time that causes buildup.
Thyme Oil. This natural antiseptic helps protect against bacterial and fungal infections, eliminates dandruff, and breakage caused by weakened strands, reduces scalp irritation & promotes healthy regrowth.
Bergamot Oil. Aromatherapy enthusiasts adore Bergamot due to its marvelous qualities that work wonders in helping restore dull locks while locking in moisture deep within each strand returning a vibrant sheen back to your mane!
Ylang Ylang Oil. Numerous benefits arise when adding this special flower to your mix—some include better-balanced sebum production (when dealing with oily scalps) and decreased split ends (much-needed remedy) while promoting thicker healthier looking tresses all around!
There are many other essential oils like rosemary essential oil which can increase hair growth and improve hair health overall. For a healthy scalp, tea tree essential oil is awesome. Just a few drops and you will enjoy antifungal and antibacterial properties. A few drops of your favorite oil in a carrier like olive or coconut oil will do. Essential oils promote hair growth, prevent hair loss and resolve hair thinning. For faster hair growth, mixing essential oils correctly is key. A great essential oil mixture will improve overall hair growth.
Top oils that promote hair health, manage excess oil, and reduce hair breakage are lemongrass essential oil, peppermint essential oil, bergamot essential oil, and ylang-ylang essential oil among many essential oils.
Coconut Oil. This natural conditioner soaks right into the shafts of our manes, sealing in moisture for extended periods of time which results in softer more manageable locks overall!
Argan Oil. Another hydrating option would be Argan as its rich composition works well against split ends, and nourishes each strand thoroughly without leaving behind any greasy residues afterward.
Jojoba Oil. Unlike most plant-derived oils that coat each strand instead of soaking into their core, Jojoba offers superior penetration power restoring lost shine at an increased rate than expected!
Sweet Almond Oil. This natural extract contains plenty of Vitamin E which is known to increase cell turnover rates whilst improving elasticity levels – two tasks required to keep your cuticles strong enough to fight off everyday elements easily!
Avocado Oil. Its full array of vitamins (A/C/E/B-Complex + Iron/Potassium) serves dual purposes; moisturizing & protecting each strand against too many heat styling tools or other chemical treatments run of counter outlets offer these days!
Olive Oil. Higher concentrations found off store counters may actually do more harm than good thus why we suggest consulting with hairdressers prior to grabbing a bottle – but when applied correctly its ability to penetrate within seconds makes it a worthwhile investment for those willing to give it a try!
Grapeseed Oil. This lightweight non-greasy formula serves well as a sealant after applying either hot or cold masks depending on personal preference – locking in much-needed hydration where it counts from root tip onwards whilst keeping frizz at bay!
Macadamia Nut Oil. Our loss due to diets filled with processed foods affects our hair immensely making outside help necessary since most people won’t find relief through proper nutrition alone—his nut base provides omega 3 & 6 fatty acids found lacking within modern cuisine these days!
Pumpkin Seed Extracts. If you’re looking for antioxidants then Pumpkin Seed Extract should make the top list due to its complex variety present such as Protein/Zinc/Iron etcetera—two main ingredients required to achieve thick, luxurious locks every day all year round!
Castor Seed Extracts. Similar benefits arise here although improvements are mainly towards the scalp side rather than individual strands themselves due to castor’s anti-inflammatory behavior which promotes calming effects anyone suffering may experience over long periods of exposure to external pollutants available everywhere we look nowadays!
General Guidelines for Creating Proper Essential Oil Blends
When creating your own essential oil blend, there are a few steps you should take to ensure it is safe and effective.
1. Choose Quality Oils: It’s important to use high-quality, pure essential oils from reputable suppliers. This will help ensure the safety and effectiveness of your blends.
2. Follow Safety Guidelines: When using an essential oil blend, always follow safety guidelines including proper dilution levels so as not to cause any adverse reactions or skin irritation.
3. Start Slow: When creating a blend, start slow and use small amounts of each essential oil until you find the perfect combination that works for you.
4. Keep Good Records: A good way to keep track of your blends is to write down each ingredient and its purpose, along with any potential side effects or cautions associated with it so that you can refer back to it in the future if needed.
5. Be Creative! Feel free to experiment and have fun! Essential oil blending can be a great creative outlet and allow you to craft unique combinations that perfectly match your needs and preferences!
5 Best Oil Mixes for Hair Growth and Thickness
Rosemary, Lavender, and Jojoba: This blend helps promote hair growth and is great for people with dry scalps.
Peppermint, Tea Tree Oil, and Argan: This combination helps reduce itching and stimulates new hair growth.
Cedarwood, Cinnamon, and Coconut Oil: This mix hydrates the strands and back of the scalp to help reduce split ends.
Ylang Ylang, Clary Sage, and Avocado: This blend is perfect for balancing sebum production which reduces greying or thinning hair.
Bergamot, Thyme, and Olive Oil: This mix helps protect the scalp from heat styling damage while restoring shine to dull locks.
DIY Guide to Making Hair Growth and Thickness Essential Oil Blends at Home
Making essential oil blends for hair growth and thickness is easy! Follow these steps to craft the perfect mix for your hair.
1. Gather Your Ingredients: Before you start, make sure you have all the ingredients you need on hand. This includes pure essential oils, a carrier oil like almond or jojoba, and any other ingredients for your mix, like dried herbs or clays.
2. Choose Your Blending Tools: You will need some tools to create your blend safely and easily. For this project, you’ll need a glass dropper bottle with a tight-fitting cap as well as a small bowl or jar and a stirring spoon.
3. Measure Out Oils: Start by measuring the exact amounts of each oil you want in your blend using a kitchen scale if possible. Add essential oils to the bowl or jar first, stirring until blended together. Then, add in the carrier oil until you reach the desired ratio.
4. Mix & Store: Once all your ingredients are added and mixed together, transfer the blend into your glass dropper bottle using a funnel if needed, then cap securely with the lid. Label and store in a cool dark place away from direct sunlight or heat when not in use so that it retains its potency and effectiveness over time!
How To Use Essential Oil Blends On Your Hair
Using essential oil blends on your hair is easy! Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting the best results from your mix:
1. Apply to Scalp: Start by gently massaging a small amount of the essential oil blend into your scalp and roots using your fingertips. This helps stimulate blood flow to the area, promoting hair growth.
2. Massage Through Hair: After applying to your scalp, use your fingertips to massage any remaining blend through the length and ends of your hair. This helps promote healthy shine while delivering hydration and nutrients where needed most.
3. Leave In Overnight: For maximum effectiveness, it’s best to leave the blend in overnight so that it can work its magic while you sleep! Cover with a shower cap or scarf if necessary to avoid making a mess in bed.
How To Use Essential Oil Blends In Shampoo or Conditioner
Adding essential oil blends to your shampoo or conditioner is a great way to give your hair a nourishing boost! Here’s how:
1. Measure Out Blends: First, measure out 1 teaspoon of your essential oil blend for every 8 ounces of shampoo or conditioner that you’re using.
2. Add to Shampoo/Conditioner: Add the measured amount of blend into the bottle with the shampoo or conditioner. Shake gently to ensure it mixes evenly throughout.
3. Wash Hair: Now you’re ready for washing! Use as you would any other shampoo and conditioner product, being sure to massage it into the scalp and through the length of your hair for maximum absorption and benefit.
4. Rinse & Style: After shampooing and conditioning as usual, rinse thoroughly—you’ll be left with bouncy, soft hair ready for styling!
Using the oils as a hair mask will also improve hair growth and taking advantage of a scalp massage will stimulate oil-producing glands to encourage hair growth.
Using essential oil blends on your hair is a great way to nourish and boost the strength of your locks. Whether massaging it into your scalp overnight or adding it to shampoo or conditioner, essential oils can make a difference in how healthy, soft, and shiny your hair looks and feels!