Women today have a lot of different things that they need to focus on when promoting their health and wellness. And while a healthy diet and regular exercise will lay the foundation for a happier, healthier you, the reality is that once a month, a big challenge will approach – dealing with the symptoms of the menstrual cycle.
In particular, menstrual cramping and PMS are the two main symptoms that may have to be managed and that can be very difficult to deal with. It’s estimated that roughly 80% of all women who are of college age will suffer from painful menstrual cramps regularly. And roughly half of adolescent females will, along with plenty of adult women. Combine those painful cramps with the emotional changes and irritability that PMS can trigger, and this period of time can be very uncomfortable for anyone to deal with.
Combating the pain often involves things like over the counter pain relievers. But those pain relievers can have significant side effects and be expensive. Focusing on natural treatment is much better and can really help. One thing to consider adding to the regimen is the use of essential oils for PMS and menstrual cramps.
Natural Treatment for PMS and Menstrual Cramps
Managing symptoms associated with the menstrual cycle is something that can actually be done naturally if some attention is paid to it. There are plenty of steps here, including:
- Eating a healthier diet free from trans fats, sugars, and processed foods. Natural diets with high fiber and vegetable content can help tremendously.
- Regular exercise can help as well. This helps not only alleviate muscle cramp pain, but can also help to promote better mental health and lower PMS levels.
- Yoga and meditation can also help, especially with reducing PMS. The use of these techniques can also reduce muscle spasms and cramps. Best of all, they’re easy to learn the basics of.
- Essential oils are another tool that can be used. Essential oils have been used for centuries to help calm the mind, heal the body, and more. As a result, they can be instrumental in better managing the symptoms of PMS and menstrual cramps.
Combining the different options above can help to create a natural health regimen that will improve the discomfort and PMS that menstruation can cause, and help you feel better physically as well as mentally.
Using Essential Oils for PMS and Menstrual Cramps
To use essential oils for PMS and menstrual cramps, there are a few different steps that you can take. The first is to diffuse the oils in a nebulzing diffuser. The diffuser will fill the room with the unique benefits that each oil provides, triggering different responses in the brain that can help alleviate the symptoms. This is the easiest and most popular method of using essential oils.
Alternatively, you can add several drops of the oil to a warm bath and soak for at least 20 minutes. This helps deliver the essential oil directly to the skin while also providing a rich aroma that can be therapeutic. Finally, you can combine 3 to 5 drops of the oil to a carrier oil like almond or coconut oil and rub into the skin on the areas where the cramps are worst.
No matter which method you use, certain essential oils are better than others for treating these problems.
Here are the 5 Best Essential Oils to Try
- Lavender – Lavender essential oil is one of the best all-around oils out there. It can help to improve blood flow and thus reduce cramps, but it’s the calming, relaxing mental effects that the oil has that makes it so instrumental for combating PMS.
- Eucalyptus – This essential oil is known for its anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce the cramps associated with menstruation. The stimulating, decongestant properties can help calm the irritability and moodiness as well.
- Rose – Rose essential oil helps to stimulate proper hormone levels and can help regulate menstrual cycles. This can help reduce cramping pain, and the calming nature of the oil helps to improve PMS symptoms.
- Ylang-Ylang – This essential oil is widely regarded as an excellent antidepressant. This can help calm the mood swings of PMS, and the oil even has sedative properties that can calm down the mind entirely and fight anxiety. It can also help to reduce cramps thanks to its antispasmodic qualities.
- Chamomile – This essential oil is often used to help calm the body and mind, and it can relieve stress, anxiety, and irritability. But it also has strong anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce premenstrual pains and relax muscles.
Try the oils listed above to start gaining some relief from PMS and menstrual cramps without the need for prescription or over the counter medications. It could give you the results you need.