Diabetes is one of the most dangerous diseases out there. While things like cancer can certainly be serious, diabetes is a long-term condition that can bring about a wide range of health issues ranging from loss of limbs to heart failure and beyond. In short, it’s something that has to be treated and managed properly in order to live the longest, healthiest life possible.
The seriousness of diabetes means that it has to be managed with help from a medical professional at all times. However, there are natural steps that can be taken as well which will help dramatically. Taking a look at some of the essential oils and how they can fit into a natural diabetes regimen is well worth doing.
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes is a condition wherein the body either doesn’t make or doesn’t use insulin properly. Type 1 diabetes is a problem with no insulin production, while type 2 is when the body fails to utilize insulin that is made correctly.
Both types are very serious, and since insulin controls the amount of sugar in the blood, they will each impact your health dramatically. Again, speaking with a doctor is the first step towards controlling diabetes. However, adding essential oils to your daily routine can help you to manage the condition even more effectively.
Building Your Natural Diabetes Treatment Regimen
Essential oils are just one component of treatment. Along with blood sugar monitoring and use of insulin injections, you can utilize numerous steps to set up better diabetic management for yourself. Steps to consider will include:
- Changing your diet to ensure the best level of health. Monitoring sugars eaten is key to controlling diabetes.
- Regular exercise and weight loss can help dramatically. In particular, losing weight can help with type 2 diabetes and can even reduce or eliminate the need to use insulin in some cases.
- Avoiding alcohol is important as well, since alcohol contains numerous sugars that can have a negative impact on the management of diabetes.
Talk to your medical professional for additional guidance on the subject, but the fact is natural steps can often be the keys to getting the results you need for better controlling diabetes. You can’t ignore medical attention or the need for insulin, but the right steps can make it easier to manage the disease and its symptoms – and its risks.
Essential Oils For Diabetes
Along with the steps above, you can use certain essential oils to help manage diabetes. Here are some of the most helpful essential oils;
- Cinnamon – Cinnamon is one of the most widely studied oils in terms of diabetic management, and research has shown that it can be effective in helping to manage pancreatic functions and promoting better weight loss results. It may also help lower blood glucose levels when used correctly.
- Coriander – Coriander oil may also be effective at controlling blood glucose. It has been found to increase insulin secretion and also help with digestive issues.
- Ylang-ylang – This essential oil is a good choice for diabetics who have irritability or mood swings. It can help calm the mind and body and bring focus back to your life. Additionally, it has been found to have a positive impact on blood circulation and on lowering overall blood pressure – two problems many diabetics have.
- Lemon – Lemon or lemongrass essential oils are another option that can help relieve tension and stress while also helping promote better circulation. They can also help to ward off symptoms of the cold, flu, and other illnesses. In the process, it makes it easier for diabetics to heal from different conditions.
- Thyme – This essential oil can be a major antiseptic and can even help prevent the development of cardiovascular disease – something common in diabetic patients. However, it’s not a good option for those with high blood pressure and as such should be used carefully.
- Lavender – This essential oil can help to calm the mind and body, making it easier for you to relax. Additionally, early studies are finding that it could help lower glucose levels in some people when taken internally. Taking or ingesting essential oils internally is serious and certainly requires input from a trained, experienced professional. This is not something we promote.
How to Use Essential Oils
The most effective way to administer essential oils to a diabetic is to use a Nebulizing Diffuser. Nebulizers diffuse pure essential oils in their most natural form without dilution or heat that can alter the properties of the essential oils.
Another option is to massage the oils into the skin. Make sure to dilute pure essential oils with a carrier oil such as sweet almond oil or virgin coconut oil. When applying topically use only 2-3% of pure essential oil mixed with the carrier oil.
Each of the options above is worth considering, but should only be a part of your total diabetic management regimen. Consult with your doctor and try out natural options, and you’ll be on your way to better diabetes control.