Cystic Fibrosis (CF), is a genetic disease that affects the lungs. Those who have CF are more susceptible to persistent lung infections and trouble breathing. CF causes production and accumulation of thick mucus in the body, mostly in the lungs and on the organs.
In the lungs, this thick mucus coats the airways and can easily trap any bacteria that enters the lungs, leading to frequent bronchial infections. In the pancreas, it prevents the release of digestive enzymes needed to break down food and aid the body in nutrient absorption.
Common Symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis
Those who have CF often have a variety of symptoms, including:
- Wheezing and shortness of breath
- Frequent lung infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia
- Limited weight gain despite eating well
- Frequent gas, bulky stools, and trouble with bowels
- Persistent cough
- Chronic fatigue
- Nutrient deficiencies
Though these are only some symptoms, and they can vary from individual to individual. Severity and treatment can be different for each person living with CF, and plans are tailored to meet specific needs for better health.
Essential Oils to Help Cystic Fibrosis
Early diagnosis is important to manage the symptoms and treat CF, and today’s methods can discover CF as early as minutes after birth, and in some cases, in utero.
When looking for essential oils to help cystic fibrosis, those that are anti-inflammatory and have decongestant properties will work best.
- Anti-inflammatory essential oils can decrease inflammation in the lining of the lungs and can relieve discomfort that comes from CF. Those who have GI issues can also find relief from inflammation in the pancreas and bowels
- Essential oils to help Cystic Fibrosis that have an expectorant quality can help loosen and break up the mucus in the lungs as well as in other areas of the body.
The common essential oils to help with cystic fibrosis include:
- Frankincense Essential Oil
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Thyme Essential Oil
- Oregano Essential Oil
Other Important Essential Oils to Help Cystic Fibrosis
As other factors can accompany those with CF, such as insomnia and anxiety, other essential oils to help Cystic Fibrosis include:
- Lavender Essential Oil. This essential oil can ease insomnia, reduce tension and stress levels, and help with anxiety. It can also improve circulation and strengthen the immune system.
- Sweet Ginger Essential Oil. Known for easing nausea and relieving digestive disorders, this essential oil can also provide warmth and soothing comfort.
- Pine Essential Oil. Energizing and uplifting, pine essential oil can help with fatigue. It’s also a natural immunity-booster that aids in circulation.
- Sweet Basil Essential Oil. This essential oil can aid in digestion and calm GI troubles such as gas and bloating. It’s fresh, clean scent calms nerves and can ease coughs.
Ways to Use Essential Oils to Help Cystic Fibrosis
Essential oils can be used as a chest rub with mixed in with a carrier oil or lotion. This can provide direct relief when breathing becomes troubled. In a carrier oil, essential oils can be massaged onto the body to provide relaxation and sooth other areas that might be affected.
The most effective way to experience the benefits of essential oils to help Cystic Fibrosis is to inhale them using a nebulizing essential oil diffuser. This provides a concentrated stream of pure essential oils that can penetrate the airways and enter the bloodstream. A nebulizing diffuser works especially well for the lung issues that accompany CF and is the easiest way to reap essential oil benefits while resting.