With all the stress one gets in facing the challenges of one’s day-to-day life, it is best to always have time for self-care. A few minutes or hours of relaxation after a week of hard work can help calm your nerves. That does not mean that you have to always make a trip to the spa every week. You can recreate the experience in the comfort of your home.
The Benefits of a Facial Steam
Having facial steam is an easy way to pamper your skin and remove impurities. Additionally, it is simple and affordable. You do not need expensive and special devices to have a little bit of luxury.
Steaming is not only for relaxation. It also comes with a lot of benefits for the body. So, doing it will leave your skin clean and glowing.
- The steam cleanses your skin by opening up the pores and loosening the buildup of dirt. Doing it to your face can also soften blackheads, which makes it easier for you to remove them. It also releases impurities that can clog your pores, which contributes to the development of acne.
- Steam promotes perspiration. Thus, it increases blood circulation by dilating blood vessels. In turn, the proper circulation of blood promotes the production of collagen and elastin, which makes your skin firmer.
- The skin has sebaceous glands that produce oil to lubricate the skin and hair. However, there are times when the surface of the skin traps the sebum. With this, your skin becomes a breeding ground for acne-causing bacteria. Having facial steam helps release the said sebum.
- Steam moisturizes the skin and helps promote natural oil production.
- If you are using skin care products, having facial steam before the application will be a good idea. It helps your skin absorb topical products.
- If you are having problems dealing with sinus congestion, you can try having facial steam. It helps relieve the congestion and alleviate the headaches that come with it.
Taking Facial Steam to the Next Level with Essential Oils
As stated earlier, facial steams come with a lot of benefits. But, there is a way to increase the benefits that one can get by adding essential oils. Doing this will add the therapeutic effects of essential oils to the health benefits of facial steams, making your experience extra special.
To do this, you will need the best essential oil that suits your needs. For example, if you want something that will soothe the skin, you can try lavender essential oil. If you have colds or clogged sinuses, you can use peppermint or eucalyptus. Meanwhile, rose essential oil is the best for dry, sensitive, or inflamed skin. You can combine essential oils and create your own blend if you want.
You can also opt for packs and collections that contain a wide variety of essential oils. This way, you can choose the essential oil you will need at the moment.
DIY Facial Steam With Essential Oil
Having facial steam at home does not involve a complicated process. All you need is a bowl, hot water, essential oils, and a towel.
First, do not forget to wash your face before starting the steam. Second, get a bowl that can withstand the heat. Put the table on a table that is of the perfect height when you sit. This way, you will stay relaxed during the steam. Add boiling water to the bowl. Then, add the essential oil that you have chosen. You do not have to use a lot. A few drops are enough.
To ensure that the steam goes directly on your face, drape a towel over your head. A bath towel will do as it can cover your head and the bowl. Put your face about twelve inches above the bowl. You might get burned from the steam if you put your face too close.
You can do this for around five to ten minutes. Make sure you are relaxed. Take a deep breath and enjoy the steam.
After the steam, splash lukewarm water on your face. To close the pores on your face, you can use a toner and moisturizer.
Aromatherapy without Hassle
With work and other responsibilities, having routine facial steam may not be possible. You may end up only doing it if you find some extra time. Do not worry. You can still enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy using an alternative way.
A popular way of doing it is by using a nebulizing diffuser. There are many types of diffusers on the market. They are easy to use. You can even make your own design and personalize your diffuser. Not only do diffusers let you enjoy the fragrance of essential oils, but they also let your body get the health benefits the oils offer.
Life brings a lot of challenges. But, one needs to have time to release all the tension. A simple self-care routine, such as a facial steam, can help you face another day with renewed energy.