Sleep deprivation has become a common problem. Sometimes, you go to bed early in the hopes of getting more time to rest. However, it is not always a successful battle.
Getting the proper amount of sleep is important to restore one’s energy. Having the right amount of sleep can help a person maintain good health and perform daily tasks well. So, lack of sleep can alter a person’s performance.
Common Effects of Sleep Deprivation
Sleep deprivation does not only cause problems in a person’s ability to function properly. It can also lead to other long-term effects. Your body will be vulnerable to health issues affecting your systems. Among the common effects are the following:
- Longer time to recover from an illness
- Higher risk of having chronic and advanced diseases
- Problems in body weight
- Problems in hormone production
- Gives the heart vessels a harder time to heal
- Affect blood pressure and levels of sugar
Surprising Reasons For Lack of Sleep
Lack of sleep slows down the ability of your brain to process information. If it leads to chronic sleep deprivation, your body may experience more permanent damage. One way of reducing the chances of losing sleep is to know what causes it.
- Having late-night snacks can affect your sleep. Avoid eating or drinking close to your bedtime. It may cause heartburn, which will lead you to toss and turn all night. You may also end up waking up a lot of times to visit the bathroom.
- Check the temperature in your room. Set the thermostat to a comfortable temperature so that you will not end up suffering from a hot or cold night.
- Lessen the time you spend on your electronic gadgets at night. The artificial light they produce may make it difficult for you to sleep.
- Alcohol intake can leave you feeling sleepy. However, it can also leave you having a night of fragmented sleep. You may also end up waking up feeling tired.
- Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages in the late afternoon.
- Exercising can help you keep a healthy lifestyle. However, doing it before your bedtime will increase your heart rate, which will prevent you from falling asleep.
- Having a sleep disorder, such as sleep apnea, can disrupt your sleep.
- Coming up with a routine that you will strictly follow can help. Make sure your bedroom is only a place for resting. Avoid doing other activities, such as watching television or reading.
- Anxiety does not only affect a person’s mood, you may also end up lying awake in bed thinking of your responsibilities or worrying about your problems.
Using a Nebulizing Diffuser to Help you Sleep
High levels of stress also make it hard for a person to sleep. If this is the case for you, you can try using essential oils to create a calm and relaxing atmosphere. Scents affect a person’s emotions and moods. With the proper fragrance, you can help your body get its much-needed rest. An Organic Aromas nebulizing diffuser is perfect for the bedroom; it is whisper quiet and is equipped with a touch sensor light switch that allows the diffuser to operate in complete darkness.
Best Essential Oils for Sleep
Although the term aromatherapy is a modern concept, the idea of using essential oils has been around since ancient times. Many studies have proven their use in relieving stress, reducing pain, regulating moods, and promoting sleep. With the right essential oil, you can say goodbye to sleepless nights.
- Lavender is one of the most used essential oils. The soothing scent it produces promotes relaxation. It is also a natural remedy to alleviate the feeling of anxiety.
- The floral scent of jasmine essential oil can also improve the quality of sleep. There will be no more restless nights with a few sprays of this fragrance.
- Sandalwood helps reduce the levels of anxiety. The woody and earthy scent reduces wakefulness and helps increase non-REM sleep. However, the effects may vary depending on the person using it. If it increases alertness for you, try using other alternative essential oils.
- You can also try rose geranium essential oil. This unique floral scent can reduce your stress.
Your Own Blend for a Pillow Spray
You can start by using a pillow spray. You do not even have to buy one. It can be your next DIY project. You will only need a spray bottle and the essential oils of your choice. You can even create your own essential oil blend using various combinations.
Using the pillow spray regularly can also lead your brain to associate the fragrance to good night sleep. It will be a comforting scent that will send signals to your body. Thus, it will be ready for sleep. You will have no more sleepless nights. You will also find yourself having more energy when you wake up.
The secret of a pillow spray is in the recipe. Choose your essential oils wisely. You should also make sure that you only purchase from reliable sources to avoid getting subpar products that do not provide the same benefits.