There are a lot of different facets of human health, and maintaining a healthy life in each of them is incredibly important for anyone. Your respiratory system is one of the most vital components of your body, and when problems with breathing arise it can have a negative impact on every aspect of your life.
One such problem that could occur is bronchitis. It may not be as dangerous as some of the other lung and respiratory related problems; it can still have a very dramatic impact on your well-being. Luckily, it’s something that can be controlled and managed effectively. By talking to your medical professional and charting out a plan for recovery, bronchitis can almost always be overcome.
Modern medicine and certain medications can be instrumental in making recovery come about more easily, using natural treatments like essential oils for bronchitis is something that’s worth taking a look at as well.
What is Bronchitis?
Essentially, it’s a health condition wherein the tubes carrying air into your lungs – your bronchial tubes – become infected by viruses and bacteria which leads to swelling.
The Symptoms of Bronchitis:
- Heavy amounts of mucus
- Frequent coughing
- Chest congestion
- Shortness of breath
- Low grade fevers
- Sore throats
The cough in particular can last for weeks at a time due to the slow healing of the bronchial tubes. Treatment often focuses on easing the urge to cough, reducing the inflammation, and fighting the infection. These treatments usually involve prescription medications and cough suppressants, and over time the sickness can be eliminated.
Natural Ways to Help Bronchitis
There’s no question that talking to a medical professional about your health condition is important. First of all, it must be correctly determined that bronchitis is indeed the condition you’re suffering from. In rare cases, bronchitis can sometimes lead to pneumonia, as such, combating it is important.
While antibiotics and other treatment options may be needed, using essential oils as natural remedies offers numerous benefits including:
- Potentially faster recovery times
- Easier coping with symptoms like shortness of breath or coughing
- An affordable way to quickly add relief to your illness
- Additional health benefits from the aromatherapy of the oils
You may end up relying on medications to completely combat your bronchitis, essential oils can help manage the condition and make it easier to recover. Talking to your doctor is the first step towards figuring out the best solutions for you.
The Best Essential Oils for Bronchitis
Essential oils used to combat bronchitis will focus on reducing the symptoms of the illness. There are several essential oils out there that can help with bronchitis, and some are more effective than others. These oils can help expel the mucus build-up, reduce inflammation in the airways, and help relax the mind and body so it can heal properly.
- Tea Tree – Tea tree essential oil has strong antiviral and antimicrobial properties. This means that it can help inhibit the virus that causes the illness to occur. It also possesses strong anti-inflammatory properties that could help relax the swollen airways, and break up the mucus clogging them.
- Eucalyptus – Eucalyptus oil can help to reduce inflammation in the airways and also help treat symptoms associated with bronchitis as well as cold and flu symptoms. It also has expectorant properties, making it easier to expel mucus.
- Lemongrass – Lemongrass can help to kill bacteria that may trigger bronchitis or other respiratory illnesses. Its bright scent can also help invigorate the mind and body.
- Lavender – Lavender essential oil has a wide range of benefits to human health. It can help relax the mind and body for a more restful sleep, and help reduce the coughs associated with bronchitis by relaxing airways.
How to Use Essential Oils to Help Bronchitis
- Diffusing – Essential oil diffusers are one of the best ways to fill the air with the beneficial aromas from essential oils. Add several drops of the appropriate oil in your nebulizing diffuser and breathe deeply as it disperses the oil into the air.
- Chest Rubs – Add about 15 drops of an essential oil to an ounce of a carrier oil like almond or coconut oil and then rub it onto the chest well just before bed. This helps promote a better night’s sleep and opens the airways.
- Steam Inhalation – Prepare a bowl of boiling water and add 8 to 10 drops of your preferred essential oil. Lay a towel over your head and place your face above the bowl of water slowly taking in big deep breaths. The towel will help keep the steam from escaping too quickly allowing you to increase the concentration in each breath.
- Aromatherapy Jewelry – Wearing aromatherapy jewelry is a great way to shield against illnesses like bronchitis before they happen. Public places are often filled with germs and people who are already infected with cold and flus. Prevention is the first step in stopping bacteria and viruses from entering the body.
Each of these methods makes it easy to breathe the benefits of essential oils and allow them to help you reduce the bronchitis related symptoms you may be dealing with.