By now, most people are aware of the fact that essential oils can have a tremendously positive impact on their lives in one way or another. Whether it’s using them in a diffuser to relax at night, as a massage oil to fight against arthritis, or in a bath to recharge the mind and soothe sore muscles, essential oils are a great addition to any day.
But what many don’t realize is that beyond your personal health, essential oils also have the ability to provide great things around the home. Cleaning, disinfecting, and even pest control can all be achieved with the right essential oils on your side. Another way they can help around the home is fighting against the growth of mold.
How Can Mold be a Problem?
Mold can become a serious problem in any home due to the spores that it creates. As mold grows and spreads, it can release these spores if disturbed even slightly – just a breeze from a closing door could dislodge the spores. These microscopic spores then enter the air in your home and could be inhaled by you and your family.
When that occurs, it can trigger health problems including respiratory infections, respiratory distress, lower immune systems, and more. Toxic mold exposure is a major hazard and is so dangerous that homes have been condemned due to its growth. It can also lower home values, ruin your resale opportunities, and more.
Mold remediation can be costly and involve things like cutting out and replacing drywall, changing carpets, controlling leaks, and more. The easiest solution is to stop it before it becomes too much of a problem, and with the right essential oils it’s easy to do just that.
How to Get Rid of Mold With Essential Oils
Essential oils are potent distillations of plants such as leaves, stems, and even the flowers. These natural oils found inside the plant contain powerful therapeutic properties that help the plant protect itself against mold and bacteria.
Using a Nebulizing Diffuser™
One of the best ways to stop mold is to use a Nebulizing Diffuser™. The reason a nebulizer is the best choice is because it doesn’t use water which helps the mold to grow and spread much faster. A Nebulizing Diffuser™ is strong and powerful and will fill a room with undiluted pure essential oils that would work fast to combat the mold and the spreading of mold spores. Even when it appears the mold is taken care of it is a good idea to continue to use a nebulizer as a preventive measure.
Using a Spray Bottle
A great way to hit the mold directly is to use a spray bottle mixture of essential oils and alcohol. Prepare a mixture of about 25 drops of essential oil with up to a cup of equal parts water and isopropyl alcohol and add it to a spray bottle. Spray this formula directly onto the surface that has been contaminated with mold and allow it to soak for ten to fifteen minutes before wiping clean. For serious mold growth or for mold on porous surfaces, it may be better to avoid diluting the spray with water and mix only with isopropyl alcohol.
Wiping away mold alone is pointless. If you need to kill the spores that are left behind which can trigger regrowth. It’s also important that you use care to ensure that you are protected – wear breathing protection during the cleaning process to avoid inhaling mold spores.
Use caution when applying this mixture and be aware that essential oils are strong and powerful and can remove the finish on wood and other painted surfaces.
Which Essential Oils Stop Mold
The following essential oils are the best options when combating mold.
- Tea Tree Oil – This essential oil is often used for its disinfecting, cleaning abilities. It’s not only antimicrobial, but also serves as an anti-fungal that can help fight against mold growth. It’s also great for removing the moldy, musty smells that mold growth creates and can be used to help kill mildew in the washer as well as to freshen up spoiled clothing that has sat damp for too long.
- Cinnamon – This essential oil has actually been tested extensively and was found to be highly effective at controlling mold growth. It also works to combat against the growth of bacteria, making it a perfect choice for disinfecting the home. And the bright, recognizable scent means that it also helps your home smell fresh and clean.
- Thyme – More than just a cooking herb, thyme is also an essential oil with numerous health benefits. Not only can it purify the skin, but this oil can also combat mold growth in the home and even fight against mold related health issues like candida growth.
- Clove – Clove oil is an antioxidant that can help bolster your immune system. But it is also known for being highly effective at fighting black mold – the primary mold that creates problems in homes around the world. Use of clove oil has been shown to kill black mold effectively and promote a better home environment.
- Burglars Blend – Burglars Blend by Organic Aromas is a great combination of a variety of mold fighting essential oils that are antibacterial, anti-viral, antimicrobial, anti-parasitic. It is comprised of clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary essential oils.
With the right essential oils on your side, it’s easy to combat mold and provide yourself with a safer home as well as one that smells fresh and clean. They’re a valuable ally in the fight against mold growth.
If you are serious about stopping mold spores from taking over your household then think about solving the problem with an Essential Oil Diffuser by Organic Aromas.