Everywhere you look nowadays, it seems like someone is swearing by the incredible health benefits of coconut oil. Once rejected because of its high saturated fat content, new medical research has shown that coconut oil may actually be a superfood. Here are the top ten health benefits of coconut oil:
- Coconut Oil Promotes Oral Health: Coconut oil has been used for centuries in India as part of their oil hygiene routine in a practice known as oil-pulling. Oil pulling is when you take a tablespoon of coconut oil and swish it around your mouth for 20-30 minutes. Oil pulling helps dissolve oil based plaque, reduces the presence of bacteria, and helps clean out the hard to reach areas of your mouth.
- Coconut Oil Is Great For Skin Care: The beautiful blend of oils makes coconut oil perfect for skin care. It’s antibacterial properties help soothe and fight acne, while it’s powerful hydration helps diminish the signs of aging. It also makes a fantastic odor-fighting deodorant, so go ahead and use it all over your body for healthy, radiant skin. Coconut oil can also act as a sunscreen so it is great for protecting your skin against damage.
- Coconut Oil Strengthens Hair: Coconut oil can be added as a hair conditioner to promote hair growth, body, and shine. The natural oils help strengthen hair from the root to the follicle, so you’ll experience less breakage as well. You can also use it as a hair mask for a deep conditioning treatment.
- Coconut Oil May Promote Weight Loss: Coconut oil delivers healthy fats and oils to your body which can help promote weight loss over the long term. It also helps keep you feeling full and full of energy. Furthermore, coconut oil also has been shown to help build muscles and increase your stamina during a workout. A little coconut oil added to your favorite pre-workout protein shake can give you the power you need to push yourself further during your routine.
- Coconut Oil May Support Brain Health: There has been a lot of research into coconut oil to support memory health in Alzheimer patients and those advancing in age. Coconut oil can be absorbed without the use of insulin so it can also ramp up your brain power without the crash associated with other energy boosters like sugars.
- Coconut Oil May Help Digestion: There are many studies being done on the positive effects of coconut oil on organ function. One of the great benefits of this is the potential for relief from digestive issues. Coconut oil is also a probiotic which can help balance healthy gut bacteria making digestion easier.
- Coconut Oil May Ward Off Colds: Coconut oil is a powerful antibacterial and may help ward off the common cold. It also has antifungal and antiviral properties which can help strengthen your immune system and ward against infection. Coconut oil can be used both topically and ingested as an antibacterial.
- Coconut Oil May Support Hormonal Balance: Coconut oil may support the natural balance of hormones. It also reduces some of the negative effects our diet has on triggering hormonal imbalances like the crash that happens after consuming too much sugar.
- Coconut Oil May Help Reduce Inflammation: Inflammation from arthritis or other chronic illnesses can be very painful. Coconut oil has high levels of antioxidants which reduce inflammation. The oils also help lubricate joints and promote mobility in arthritis patients.
- Coconut Oil Supports Heart Health: Coconut oil is full of healthy fats that can help convert bad cholesterol into good cholesterol. The presence of bad cholesterol increases your chances of heart disease, while good cholesterol lowers these chances. There is a lot of research being done for the heart benefits of a diet rich in coconut oil.
With all of the amazing health benefits and the scientific research going into understanding just how healthy coconut oil is for us, it’s a great idea to start adding coconut oil to your diet. Furthermore, with all the great beauty benefits coconut oil pulls double duty as a superfood and a powerful tool for your beauty regimen. So go ahead and check out why people are raving about coconut oil, you will not be disappointed by the results!