Back pain can turn an average day into a nightmare, especially when it’s in the lower portion of your back. It can be difficult to sit, stand, or even lie down unless you can find a position that gives you some relief.
Those who are required to sit at a desk for a majority of their workday are commonly more prone to lower back pain, but the pain can strike anyone at any time. From muscle strains to osteoporosis, the multiple causes of lower back pain all add up to one thing: misery.
Pain Relief That Does Not Involve a Prescription
Lower back pain can range in severity from mild to excruciating. Those with more intense levels of pain often turn to over-the-counter or prescription pain killers that can bring quick relief, but taking them too often can result in a variety of side effects.
Those who prefer natural remedies might turn to pain relief that includes alternating heat and cold, a message, or use of a topical ointment. Using essential oils for lower back pain is another natural way to bring relief for those who prefer to limit their NSAID intake.
Added Benefits of Using Essential Oils for Pain
There are many benefits to using essential oils for lower back pain, and some of the benefits go beyond pain relief. Some people with chronic lower back pain might feel a sense of anxiety or depression brought on by the constant pain. Essential oils can bring about a sense of peace and tranquility. Those who have difficulty sleeping due to the pain will find relief from insomnia by using essential oils. And when other ailments accompany the lower back pain, such as a headache, essential oils can help.
What Essential Oils Help Lower Back Pain?
Some of the best essential oils to help lower back pain include:
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil – This is one of the most commonly used oils to treat muscle aches and pains. Eucalyptus essential oil has strong anti-inflammatory properties which make it ideal for use when diluted in a carrier oil and used in a message, or inhaled from a nebulizing essential oil diffuser.
- Peppermint Essential Oil – The analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of peppermint essential oil make it a wonderful choice treating lower back pain. It also eases headaches and nausea. The refreshing scent can lift the spirits and soothe stress that comes from dealing with steady pain.
- Lavender Essential Oil – A multi-use oil that can treat a range of ailments, lavender essential oil has anti-inflammatory properties that make it ideal for easing lower back pain. It can also calm the nerves, reduce stress, and ease insomnia.
- Frankincense Essential Oil – Long touted for its amazing beauty-benefits, using frankincense essential oil to help lower back pain is an obvious choice. With highly-relaxing properties and a soothing aroma, it can help ease tension and promote pain relief when used in the Radiance nebulizing diffuser.
- Sweet Ginger Essential Oil – Famous for its treatment of nausea, which can accompany lower back pain on occasion, sweet ginger essential oil has a warming quality that can penetrate and soothe sore muscles and aches when used in a massage or inhaled from a diffuser.
- Marjoram Essential Oil – The antispasmodic properties of marjoram make it a great essential oil to help lower back pain. It’s a natural pain reducer that works especially well with overextended muscles without any unwanted side effects.
With so many essential oils for lower back pain, it’s easy to find one that eases the pain and helps you relax. Simply choose one that you enjoy, add a few drops to the essential oil diffuser, and let the natural scents take you away.